Complex Hand Surgery has evolved into a separate speciality in recent years. The hand is the most functional and economically productive unit of the body. Injuries to the hand (from finger tip to elbow) account for a staggering 25 to 30% of all injuries. And yet, there are very few trained, qualified and skilled hand surgeons in India.
Common causes of hand injuries are road traffic accidents, industrial accidents, assault and household accidents. Primary reconstruction of injured hands within 12 hours is very important for restoration of normal anatomy and function. Any delay in seeking the right treatment can potentially lead to deformity and loss of function. The Complex Hand Surgery Department provides service not only to patients with acute injuries but also to patients with post-injury sequelae such as hand deformity, contractures, mal-union and non-union of fractures, tendon and nerve problems.
In addition to the care of acute injuries and post injury sequelae, The Department of Complex Hand Surgery offers treatment for the following disorders of the hand and upper limb.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trigger finger and trigger thumb
- Rheumatoid Hand deformity correction and small hand joints replacement
- Scaphoid fracture, non-union and avascular necrosis
- deQuervains disease
- Infective conditions
- Fingers, wrist and elbow contractures
- Congenital anomalies of the hand like syndactyly, polydactyly, club hand, cleft hand, etc.
- Cerebral palsy – spastic hand deformity correction
- Late tendon and nerve problems
- Claw hand – tendon transfers
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Erbs palsy
- Swellings and tumors